Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I guess that's why they call me the workin' man...

So there is no restoration progress to report...got an issue I'm trying to work out with my Cub which is taking up all my time that I don't spend loading and delivering kitchen cabinets...we all knew I'd have to get back to work eventually.  The weather has been less than cooperative lately as well.  


last weekend I went to the Oley Fair with a friend who asked me what my favorite farm tractor was (as I was oggling over several antiques on display).  I told him that I don't really have a single favorite, but I might be able to come up with a top five or ten (subject to change of course!). 


Anyway, I think I'll share my top five, in no particular order...


Case 530, built from 1960-1969, around 40HP, 3600 pounds, no frills.  My uncle has one of these with a wide front that I "learned to drive on."  


Massey Ferguson 1150, built in the early 1970's, 140HP 500ish cubic inch Perkins diesel V8, 13000 pounds or more.  I'm partial to this style of Ferguson, 1100's, 180's, 175's, etc., were popular models in the area I grew up in, and I like V8s...

 John Deere 820 Diesel, built from 1956-58, 70HP two cylinder diesel with gasoline pony engine, 7850 pounds.  I'm usually not a Deere fan, but I like the yellow accent paint, clamshell fenders and 470 cubic inch two cylinder diesel...so big and cranky they used a small gas engine to start it! 


If I have to pick a brand, it's going to be International Harvester.  This is a Farmall Super MD-TA.  Built from 1952-54, it's around 6000 pounds, about 42HPThis tractor starts on gasoline and runs on diesel.  The reasoning is the same as for the big DeereDiesel engines, with their high compression were difficult for a 6 volt starter to turn over in cold weather; even so, old diesels could be finicky to start cold.  Gasoline engines run with much lower compression and with spark ignition, so cold is not an issue.  The MD actually has a decompression valve, spark plugs and a carburetor as well as a diesel fuel system to get it started.  Also, TA stands for Torque Amplifier, which is used to make a fast down shift when the going gets tough.  

 If you can't tell by now that I like Farmalls and V8s, you have not been paying attention.  Here is an International 1568 with 548 cubic inch V8 diesel, around 130HP, weighs in at about 13000 pounds.  The ubiquitous late 70's International styling with V8 power...wow...

I might have gone a little off the deep end for you folks that are not so easily amused, but I don't have much else to talk about and I still wanted to write something.  By the way, these are not my pictures, I got them from various websites produced by a Google search.   

I'm headed for Winchester, VA for the Tri State Antique truck show this weekend...stay tuned for some pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment