Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Getting up to speed

I guess now is a good time to bring you up to date on one of my projects. Actually, this one is shaping up to come out pretty nice when it's finished.  


That's my 1968 Wheel Horse Raider 9 the day I bought it back in May.  

Might have overdid it a little on the trailer, eh?  I seriously need to get a pickup again.  I could have practically driven it home from where it was, and I ended up with this?  That's another blog though.  

Looks right at home in my "office."

The fun begins.  







Stripped and painted a few small parts to see what it would look like, and got completely out of hand from there...

I think that was the day I got sprayed in the eyes with stale gas...try getting across the yard to the garden hose with gas in your eyes...

Something wrong here?



Everything got sandblasted.  


$50 air compressor + blue tarp wind blocker + parts hanging in trees = redneck paint booth.

Everything is in primer, and that's about as far as I've gotten.  I put body filler on some spots, am not done sanding yet.  What a huge mess that makes...

The next step(s) is/are to finish sanding the filler, put on another coat of primer, wet sand and paint it red.  Then we put together the frame/transmission assembly and put the wheels back on so I can bolt on the motor and work on it while I'm waiting for the red paint to cure so I can wet sand and buff it then clear coat...wow, getting ahead of myself.  I'm going to be way busier the next two weeks than I'd like to be, so I'm kind of up against a wall for now. 

I had hoped to do some mowing with it this year but the deck needs work too, so I think I'll save that for a winter project.  It will however, plow some snow this winter.  

If I don't make any progress this week, and I most likely will not, I'll talk about why I went all in on this project and not some of the others I had in mind, and why I will never restore a Corvette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment